Friday 16 January 2009

TO TEC OR NOT TO TEC!

I recently taught an equality and diversity class using quite a lot of technology which had its plus points and bad points. My lesson was prepared on a PowerPoint presentation I had adapted from one I found on Google simply by typing ppt after my search. I then copied the presentation onto handouts for the learners. One aspect of the presentation looked at a video which I had found on You Tube about the KKK. When I clicked on the video link on my slide, sure enough it began to play. However, as I hadn’t fully loaded the video prior to the session, the clip stopped 30seconds in and took a while to get going again. Luckily I was able to talk my way out of the problem, although as Reece and Walker (2007, p.193) suggest there can be a lack of confidence in people using technology, which in this particular case, was me. During my frantic panic to get the clip to work, I managed to open the clip again in a separate window which then caused the video’s to play over each other at different times causing an echo.

The day before the lesson I managed to get hold of eight laptops one for each learner. This was a quick and easy way to add differentiation to the lesson by allowing the learners to research in pairs or alone tightening search options if able and looking for extra information should they finish quickly. Cole (2007 Online)argues that having laptops with internet access is a problem as learners can easily stray from the lesson to visit social networks and even shop online. I agree that this would be an issue especially with the age group I teach. However, if the class is small enough and the lesson has a mixture of written exercises, discussions and ICT, I believe internet use can be monitored and controlled.


Cole, D (April 7 2007) Laptops V Learning. Washington Post [online] Available:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/06/AR2007040601544.html
[14th January 2009]

Reece, I. & Walker, S. (2007) Teaching , Training and Learning : A Practical Guide. 6th Edition. Sunderland: Business Education

No comments:

Post a Comment