Tuesday 27 January 2009

THE STUDENT RESOURCE

I have been thinking about how the tutor is used as a resource and couldn’t seem to work out how the student can be used as a resource, even though I have been doing it in my teaching for a while. Stephen (2002 online) states a few of these methods that were in front of me all along. For example, how a student is an able body and can be used physically to demonstrate a point. I have done this when demonstrating how to divide, by asking the class to stand and then divided them into four groups. Another method mentioned by Stephen (2002 online) is how the student has prior knowledge and experiences. I have drawn on these when discussing relevant topics in PSD classes which seems a great way to make the learner feel part of the lesson and that they are not just attending a lesson.

Stephen, S.(2002) The not so hidden resource - student.[online]Available: www.teachingenglish.org.uk [27.01.2009].

2 comments:

  1. ace! I told you that you'd find something somehwere. don't forget experience too- valuing and drawing on students' experiences can be an excellent method

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, its a two way thing, the student is as much a resource as the tutor

    ReplyDelete